Parish History

Sacred Heart Church Circa 1908

1857 – first Mass record for City of Coshocton at the “Universal Church” in Roscoe offered by Father Frederick Bender, which began a regular Mass schedule.

1857-1858 – Missions of St. Elizabeth at Killbuck, St. Nicholas at Franklin Township, St. Mary at Linton Township were built by Fr. Bender.

1858 – first church building purchased on southwest corner of Third and Sycamore Streets – dedicated to St. George.

1869 – Fr. John Mary Jacquet arrived at Coshocton and began vigorous growth in the faith and its practice. Within five years the number of parishioners was 360. By 1972 the number had grown to 2,625.

1896 – Lot at Eighth and Walnut Streets purchased for new church and adjacent buildings by Fr.Walter A. Ross.

October 10, 1897 – The cornerstone was laid by Fr. Ross and the new church was dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus on July 17, 1898 by Bishop Watterson.

April 30, 1905 – The Coshocton Council of the Knights of Columbus #994 was chartered. The council is still active and supports the efforts of the Sacred Heart community.

Sacred Heart May Pole

September 15, 1907 – Sacred Heart School was dedicated as a 12-year school with staffing of the Dominican Sisters of St. Mary of the Springs, Columbus, OH. The school has been active since –currently solely an elementary school with grades Kindergarten through Sixth and an active Preschool.

The Catholic Women’s Club was formed in 1935 from the Daughters of Isabella (the ladies group from the Knights of Columbus). The Catholic Women’s Club of Coshocton belongs to the Diocesan Council of Catholic Women, and has won many awards for service to Church and community. Through the years the parish has grown in number as well as property. Property purchased over the next 50+ years allowed for expansion of the school, a convent for the sisters who taught at the school as well as play areas for the children. Also added were parking areas. The most recent acquisition is the house which serves as the rectory and parish offices. Fr. John Graf, during his pastorate in the 1960’s was among the first in the diocese to acclimate the church to the new concepts in liturgical celebrations, giving the church the basic current layout. He was especially active in outreach and ecumenism and assisted in establishing Church Unity programs in Coshocton County. Since then other changes have been made with additions of handicapped accessibility, a restroom, and air conditioning, a most welcome addition indeed.

Marian Grotto - 1939

April 4, 1998 – Our Lady of Lourdes Church, established by Fr. Jacquet and served the people in Wills Creek, closed and merged with Sacred Heart further increasing the parish membership. On May 12, 2001, the church was taken down, though the cemetery is still active and an annual Mass is held on the grounds in memorial in honor of the parishioners of Our Lady of Lourdes.

In addition to ongoing worship, devotion and action for God, Sacred Heart Church and its missions has fostered the religious vocations of over two dozen religious sisters and priests over its 150 year history.

2005 saw the establishment of Sacred Heart’s St. Vincent de Paul Society. This organization is our parish’s outreach to meet the emergency needs of all in our area, fulfilling our call to feed the hungry and care for God’s most precious ones, the poor.

Sacred Heart is currently the church home of 600+ registered families and over 1,500 souls. The dedication of the parishioners to the Catholic faith and the great commission of Christ to build up the Church has been the strength and the central goal of the parish during times of difficulty and prosperity.

Sacred Heart Church Today